Last Tuesday was Family Baking day at Creating Together. We tried these deliciously moist and flavourful muffins packed with shredded coconut, grated carrots and a touch of warming cinnamon and allspice – perfect for these wintry days!
Family Baking happens on the first Tuesday of every month – be sure to check our Calendar for details.
Morning Glory Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 cup whole-wheat or white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray, or lightly grease with oil.
- Mix the whole-wheat flour, 1/2 cup oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and allspice in a medium bowl.
- Whisk the eggs, applesauce, honey and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk in coconut oil.
- Gently stir the flour mixture into the applesauce mixture until just moistened. Fold in carrots, 1/2 cup coconut and raisins.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons each oats and coconut.
- Bake the muffins until they spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only moist crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let stand in the pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.